Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Another Day, another dollar...

well, maybe more than that...

We are home . The insurance nixed the brain scan so we drove home. Actually they didn't nix it, they are thinking about it! It isn't a necessity; the Doctor wanted it, and we could get it without the insurance. Hmm...not necessity at, what, $8000.00. I think not!

These two days (Monday and Tuesday) were hard, but I think it might be worth it. I woke up at 7:00 and went back to bed at 9:00 and slept til Bob woke me up at 11:39. Poor Bob, he drove each night.

During in the course of Monday, he told us that he would give the injection on Wednesday or maybe Tuesday. Then he told he wanted to wait until he came from his vacation in 3 weeks. He wanted me to introduce fish oil and baby aspirin in my system before I would get the medicine. I've been swallowing fish oil for an year or more! (Of course he wanted a different fish oil.)

First thing Tuesday, Bob said to the doctor that we came to get the medinice and he told the doctor that all of the studies agree that fish oil and aspirin do not help PPA and we came for the medicine!!! Bob is my prince who slew the dragon! The doctor finally agreed too, and I was told I would get my injection today! And I got my evaluation.

First a physical evaluation: it was all about my strength. The doctor was surprised how strong I was. (These doctor are used to patients in the 70's!)

Second evaluation for the brain: Simple math, read, write a sentence, look at pictures like a house, a beaver, a rhinoceros, an easel...etc... Then I was the star of a video, looking stupid when they did it again and I couldn't get so many things wrong!!! That was the BEFORE video.

My body is strong, but my brain needs help!

Finally, I got my injection. The injection was in the neck. The doctor told me that it wouldn't hurt. So, when he poked me I had to say "It hurts, it hurts...Just kidding". Bob said the doctor was worried, good thing that I said "just kidding" quickly! At that point, I realized that he might take the needle out. Luckily, he didn't and he laughed and me too! Did you know when you laugh, your neck moves? I was on a chair and I tucked my chin to the chest. Then I turned over in the chair. The chair is an inverting chair, and I was upside down for 5 1/2 minutes. Somebody held my feet during the 5 1/2 minutes. Then I turned over while they were getting the chair up. After questions like "How do you feel?", etc.. and told me to take a walk to the elevator and back. They were surprised that it was short. (Hello, I'm not an old woman)!

AFTER video (about 15 minutes after the injection): I thought it was horrible, but Bob thought I was better. I think, that right now, I know it is easier to write this blog. And I only went to the dictionary for 4 words and one spellcheck!

We have another appointment on December 16th (and pick up the Wright's at the Ontario Airport!!!!).


Ashley said...

Thanks for the update! Glad you were able to get the injection right away. Look forward to seeing you soon!

Audra and Levi said...

I am so excited that there is something and I hope and pray it helps!!! I will keep you in my prayers and will be thinking of you! And I noticed your blog is very well written, you would not notice your PPD in the post unless you mentioned it! :)

Katie said...

Glad to see the update mom! You have been in my prayers constantly for the last three days. Love you!

mom and grandma of BOLTON BUNCH said...

Your post was good, and I think it does sound promising. Like you said, I'm glad Bob was assertive and you got to get the injection now. And keep in mind, I can help with the trips to LA if they become regular visits. Love you!

Grandma in the middle said...

Thanks for the update! I know
Westwood is still a drive from my house (that's where Jordan's nuero was)but it's a lot closer than Blythe! You are always welcome to stay here. I'm glad Bob stuck up for your rights. Your blog is very well written! You are in my prayers daily! Love you, Sis.